pages

Saturday, November 23, 2013

8 Dayz of Light

We'll be celebrating Hanukkah in just a few days so I thought I would share with you a mixed media layout you can create with your holiday photos.


























In this layout I used a few easy but really cool techniques to create the festive light effect I wanted. I started with creating a corrugated paper. I had a piece od corrugated paper I got from IKEA but it was covered only on one side. So I covered it with a 12X12 patterned paper to create the cover. Then I tore it to create a layered effect.




















I created dripage with acrylic paint to mimic the melting wax of the candles.
I added more layers of paper all in orange and yellow colors like the colors of a candle's flame. I also embossed some of the papers with a Spellbinders embossing folder.
I finished my page with hand made candles I created from rolled pieces of paper and layers of flowers in matching colors.






 

 





















If you were looking at this page and asking yourself "what exactly is Hanukkah anyway, why 8 candles?" Here's the Hanukkah story in a nut shell...
* In 175 BCE, Antiochus Epiphanes, invaded Judea (ancient Israel).
* The Temple in Jerusalem was looted and services stopped, Judaism was outlawed. 
* Antiochus ordered an altar to Zeus erected in the Temple. He banned circumcision and ordered pigs to be sacrificed at the altar of the temple.
* Antiochus's actions provoked a large-scale revolt. By 165 BCE the Jewish revolt was successful.
* The Temple was liberated and rededicated, it was cleansed, a new altar was built in place of the polluted one and new holy vessels were made. 
* Olive oil was needed for the menorah in the Temple, which was required to burn throughout the night every night.
* The story goes that there was only enough oil to burn for one day, yet it burned for eight days, the time needed to prepare a fresh supply of oil for the menorah. An eight-day festival was declared to commemorate this miracle - Hanukkah!

You can easily create the same layout for Christmas simply by changing the color scheme and using green, gold and red.

Have fun creating!
Einat

1 comment:

  1. מקסים! כל הרבה אור, לגמרי חנוכה :)

    ReplyDelete